Ads

Delightful Lego Donkey Kong set has me feeling sentimental

Delightful Lego Donkey Kong set has me feeling sentimental

Have I mentioned that I love Donkey Kong? In case this is your first time reading my work, I’m a big fan of Nintendo’s lovable ape. On an entirely, completely, and utterly unrelated note, Lego has officially revealed a set depicting the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

Launching on 1 August, the $279.99 set includes 1,371 pieces that construct a mini replica of the 1981 arcade classic. It’s a fairly sophisticated-looking bit of kit; the joystick and buttons actually move Jumpman across the ‘screen’ as barrels roll down the girders in a loop.

Lego enlisted the help of Steve Wiebe, former Donkey Kong world champion, to star in a reveal video for the set. If you’ve watched The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, you’ll recognise Wiebe as the main rival to Billy Mitchell in what was a contentious time for the competitive arcade scene.

While I never strove to compete for high scores, Donkey Kong holds a strong place in my heart. When growing up in regional South Australia, my dad would use his lunch breaks to take me to the local arcade to play the game, plus all manner of pinball machines I was too young to be any good at.

Those early years instilled a love of gaming that persists to this day. Every time I see Donkey Kong in any form, I’m reminded of how involved my parents were (and still are) in my life.

Is it silly to feel sentimental over a nicely assembled collection of small toy bricks? Nah, I think it’s human nature to enjoy charms and trinkets that ascribe meaning to our lives.

It’s probably obvious by now, but my mouse pointer is dangerously poised over that pre-order button right now. If it’s anything like the Lego Game Boy set, I’m going to have a great time building this one.

The post Delightful Lego Donkey Kong set has me feeling sentimental appeared first on GadgetGuy.


About admin

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento